The Far West Popular Culture Association is committed to the academic study of popular culture in all its diversity. We strive to create a welcoming, inclusive environment that fosters engagement and exploration by all. Our sessions are conducted in a spirit of mutual respect and intellectual curiosity.
To that end, there is an expectation that those who participate in the FWPCA’s conference and other affiliated events will treat each other with respect.
By participating in the FWPCA conference and any related activities, you agree that you have read and agree to abide by the FWPCA Code of Conduct, as outlined below.
Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with these important guidelines:
As a guiding principle, we expect moderators, speakers, and attendees to treat each other (and themselves) with respect.
In online interactions, please mute yourself when not speaking
In person, please give presenters your full attention while they are speaking; avoid conversations, even “quiet” ones, with other guests. If you must leave a room, please do so quietly and in-between speakers.
We encourage spirited debate about popular culture issues, pedagogy, theory and the like, but we will not permit personal attacks on any attendees, presenters, staff, or exhibitors.
As a staffer, presenter, moderator, exhibitor, or attendee of a FWPCA event, you agree that you will not:
- act in a manner that is hateful or discriminatory based on race, gender, class, religion, nationality, ethnic or national origin, citizenship status, marital status, disability, body type, sexual orientation, gender identity, education, or age or is otherwise objectionable;
- behave in a manner that is libelous or defamatory, or in a way that is otherwise threatening, abusive, violent, harassing, malicious, or harmful to any person or entity, or invasive of another’s privacy;
- act in a manner that is harmful to minors in any way;
- impersonate any other person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity (including using an identity not your own for online interactions);
- seek to obtain access to any aspect of the conference without authorization;
- interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of this association or prevent others from participation in this association, or behave in a manner that disrupts the normal flow of dialogue within the community;
- facilitate the unlawful distribution of copyrighted content; or
- collect, share, or otherwise use personal or identifying information about another person without that person’s explicit consent;
- disrupt conference sessions;
- intimidate, threaten, or physically attack others;
- engage in sexual misconduct of any kind;
- collect, use, or disclose data, including personal information, about other conference attendees without their consent or for unlawful purposes or in violation of applicable law or regulations;
- share any content containing child pornography; and
- plagiarize or misrepresent the works of others.
If you witness a code violation:
Any attendee who witnesses or experiences a violation of this code is advised to undertake the following steps, within her/his comfort level and with a priority to safety.
- If another person’s behavior is making you uncomfortable, ask them to modify that behavior, if you feel safe doing so. Calmly ask them to move back, lower their speaking volume, no longer speak to you, etc.
- Leave the interaction, if you can. If not, ask others in the vicinity to join you.
- Call 911 if you feel your or another person’s safety is in immediate danger or emergency services are otherwise required.
- Report any violations of the code of conduct to the FWPCA Executive Director, your moderator, or another FWPCA staffer.
The FWPCA will investigate all violations of this code reported to it. If a FWPCA is found to be at fault, a range of sanctions are available, beginning with a warning. If a violation is egregious enough or repeated, the FWPCA reserves the right to suspend or terminate access to the conference and association meetings with no refund. Determination of violation will be at the discretion of the FWPCA Executive Director or her/his designees. The FWPCA also reserves the right to update this Code of Conduct at any time.
Please direct any questions about this code to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to the Southwest Popular Culture Association for assistance with this code.